page will describe how I got Dragon's Lair to work on my Windows 7 64-bit
PC. It used to work on my old AMD 1600 PC from 2002, but a newer OS
coupled with the 64 bits meant Dragon's Lair did not work when I set the new
machine up. That just wasn't good for a DL lover like myself.
Sorry, these instructions are for Windows machines only.
1) The first step was to head over to the
download the latest version. This new version contains the code fixes
to handle 64 bit OSes.
2) Create a new folder, Daphne, on C:\.
3) Unzip the daphne download from step one into this
new folder, C:\Daphne\.
4) The next step is you'll need the framefiles for
Dragon's Lair as well as the laserdisc image files.
The frame files
are zipped here
. Download the zip file. Unzip it under
so you end up with
5) Now you'll need the laserdisc images. They
Once downloaded, unzip them to a folder named
6) I created a batch file that starts Dragon's Lair.
This assumes all folder locations are as described in the above process. It is one line: "C:\Daphne\daphne.exe lair vldp
-framefile C:\Daphne\framefile\dlcdrom.TXT -fullscreen
can be downloaded from
. Just slap it on your desktop as a
7) Now you should be good to run the batch file and enjoy Dragon's Lair.
- You might also benefit from the roms. They are here
- I have now made available the entire Daphne folder from my machine to see if that makes life easier to people just wanting to get Dragon's Lair working with the minimum amount of fuss. Just create the folder named 'Daphne' on C:\, and unzip the contents of the zip file to it. The zip is here: here
- A couple people have benefitted from having the three original discs available: Disc One
, Disc Two
, and Disc Three
- Curt Bellotti emailed me with a couple tweaks he added to his commandline, and kindly passed along the details for future visitors. Thanks Curt!
"My custom made arcade cabinet has an upright monitor set in portrait mode. I had to use the -opengl option to make video work for the upright monitor. To stop the video from pausing/chopping up in scenes, I replaced the -fullscreen mode with xy resolution of the monitor (-x 768 -y 1024). I used the -fastboot option for quicker startup. I also set the options dip switches using -bank commands to create 5 Dirks/easy and 3 Dirks/hard games, although the easy setting is quite hard enough."
Here is my batch file command:
C:\Daphne\daphne.exe lair vldp -framefile C:\Daphne\framefile\dlcdrom.TXT -x 768 -y 1024 -opengl -bank 0 11011001 -bank 1 00100111 -fastboot
3 Dirks/Hard is -bank 0 10111010 -bank 1 10100111
The Daphne command line description is found here.
Dragon’s Lair DIP switch settings are found here