How to install Mamewah v.
Now we will examine the folders Mamewah has installed and begin changing them.
The default directory structure of C:\MAMEWAH_1.62B13.
Before explaining the changes, I'll remind you of my MAME setup. As a reference, my MAME installation folder layout is included to the right. (Click it for a larger image) You want to ensure you have a copy of the Windows Command-line Mame executable in this directory (C:\MAME\). This can be downloaded from Mame.Net (top of the list). Mamewah requires the DOS version of MAME in order to work. You can now copy my mame.ini file to C:\MAME\. Once you download this file, you must change the file name to mame.ini as it is not named that way at present. That is all you need to set up for the Mame folder. (Update- You might not need Mame.ini in order for your setup to work. It has specific settings that I use that you might benefit from.)
Specific file changes
In MAMEWAH_1.62B13/Mamewah.ini, I changed safe_mode to 0 which makes the layouts fullscreen, and show_cursor to 0 as there is no need to see the pointer when scrolling through the game lists.
In MAMEWAH_1.62B13/config/mame/mame.ini I changed list_generation_method to rom_folder_vs_listinfo as I use mame v. 92, and artwork_image_paths to c:\mame\snap;c:\mame\marquees. That is another change in this release: there is only a single artwork path entry, and you need to just string all your artworks, in order, separated by semi-colons.
In MAMEWAH_1.62B13/config/mamewah.cfg I needed to add key values to NEXT_EMULATOR and PREVIOUS_EMULATOR. More on this further on.
That was really the big files to modify.
Starting with version 1.62 the emulator layouts need to be in their own folders, beneath config/. As you can see below, I have added mame, Atari2600 and mame99 folders. This new format initially confused me until it finally clicked, then it made a lot of sense. It'll be far easier to debug as you add emulators with all the files associated with each one in the same folder.
When you look in the config folder, you see the three emulator folders as well as the all-important mamewah.cfg file. By default Mamewah does not enable moving easily from one emulator to another. I added the capability using the NEXT_EMULATOR and PREVIOUS_EMULATOR variables that have been added in the new release. I will tell you it took me a good half-hour to figure out why it wasn't working. I hope this saves you the same headache.
All the emulator folders are setup pretty much exactly the same. As most of you are most interested with the MAME folder, I'll detail that. Within each you include the Mamewah layout you wish to use (layout.lay), along with the images associated with it. My example below shows me using main.jpg (the background image), logo.jpg (my marquee), and Options.jpg (background used when you click the admin screen in Mamewah). You also need a mame.ini (or [emulator].ini). The mame.lst file will be created by Mamewah to show all the games you have for that emulator. The game folder is created by Mamewah and you need not worry about creating it yourself.
If you create a new layout using the MAMEWAH Layout application, just save all the parts to the correct emulator folder. Very simple. You'll also want to add all your artwork paths to artwork_image_paths in your [emulator].ini file.
Adding Additional Emulators
When you add any other emulators, you follow the same procedure: Create the emulator's folder name below /config. What I found the easiest to do then is copy the files from the mame folder, and then just change mame.ini to the emulator_name.ini (ie: Atari2600.ini). You'll then need to make specific changes to the .ini file to point to where your roms, etc are located.
The best resource for the many, many emulators out there is the CPViewer site. He has the Mamewah 1.62 layouts as well as the .ini files for each emulator. You would just need to come up with the roms and snaps, etc, to get each emulator fully operational.
I hope this set up has helped you. Mamewah is really quite easy to set up but you can be tricked up with some of the small details. I was able to get everything setup in less than an hour. There were significant changes to the folders since version 1.61 but it appears more sensible to me than before. It is certainly less confusing when adding a new emulator.
My files (I'll finish adding soon)